Octane

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Octane
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.net" <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 18:24:11 GMT
Greetings list!  I picked up the Sport Compact Car mag that has Alvin's
beautiful car in it (Congrats Alvin!).  It also has an excellent article on the
effects of octane boosters on actual octane levels.  To sum:  NOS Racing
formula increased octane 2.5 real points (not the 10ths of a point that most
advertise as "points" on the bottle) in 15 gallons of 91 octane gas at $10
bucks a bottle (but $.27 per point per gallon), using MMT as the ingredient;
The Outlaw increased octane 1.2 points at $4.00 a bottle using Ferosene ($.22
per point per gallon); home brew using 3 gallons of straight Toluene increased
octane 2 points at a cost of $7.50 per tank ($.25 per point per gallon, but who
wants to carry around that much Toluene?).  Questions:  I have used Turbo 108
in the past... anyone know what ingredient they are using to boost octane?
Also, I have added 108 octane race gas (Trick brand, RON of 114 but pump octane
rating of 108)in the past as well to our 92 octane gas here in Washington...
can I calculate (guestimate really) octane by simply using the following
formula:  10 gallons of 92 octane (920) plus say 2 gallons of 108 race gas
(216), divided by 12 equals octane of 94.6? (One gallon of 108 octane to 11
gallons of 92 equals 93.3).  Just wondering!
Greg Burrows