Re: Tune Up questions

To: "Allen Blackmon" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tune Up questions
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 10:05:11 -0700
The 311s.org site has a 'how-to' valve adjustment tech article.
I'd suggest reviewing that.

I bet Gordon's site has one too (but I didn't check)

> ...does it make a difference if I set them when it's cold or hot?

Yes yes yes. Hot is how the engine runs. Hot is where they need
to be correct.

> What should the gaps be?

.008 intake, .012 exhaust (2L)

> When setting the gaps, how much should the
> clearance measuring sticks (can't recall their official name off the top of
> my head, gap tools?) drag through the gap?

You mean the feeler gauge?

I'd recommend investing in a feeler gauge specifically designed
for valve adjustment. There are two widths on each blade, for
instance there's one blade that has a .013 body with a .011 tip.
The exhaust valve is properly adjusted with the first (tip) portion of
the gauge slides in but the second thicker portion doesn't.

I think I got mine at Sears long ago.

> ...Got the multimeter with tach settings.  However, I've lost the
> instructions and can't remember how to hook it up.

On a standard points ignition it's typically black to ground and
red to points. Likely the same with the electronic dizzy.

-- John