Tune Up questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Tune Up questions
From: "Allen Blackmon" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 15:58:36 +0000
I have a 1970 2000 with Solex's and B cam and Gary's distributor.  I'm
trying to get it set up to start driving.  Got a few moronic questions:

1.  First (this one is the least moronic, at least I think so), when setting
valve gaps, does it make a difference if I set them when it's cold or hot?

2.  What should the gaps be?

3.  (Now they get more moronic) When setting the gaps, how much should the
clearance measuring sticks (can't recall their official name off the top of
my head, gap tools?) drag through the gap?  Do you have to force them
through the gap?  Should it slide in with no drag, etc.?

4.  (This next one is pretty bad intelligence wise!)  I'm trying to set my
idle speed.  Got the multimeter with tach settings.  However, I've lost the
instructions and can't remember how to hook it up.  If I recall, I think you
set the probes up connected to the coil.  However, when I do that the
multimeter tach #'s are all over the place.  Idle on car tach looks to be
about 600 or so, but the multimeter has them ranging from very low (even
showing minus numbers!) to over 3000 or more.  It never settles down into a
range that is consistent.  Any help?

Anything I'm over looking?  BTW, I changed the jetting on the carbs as
suggested by the List last fall (thanks!!!!) and it definitely runs better!!

Allen Blackmon
Wenatchee, WA
1970 2000 #13774 (my first car, bought in high school!)