We made it to Solvang!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: We made it to Solvang!
From: PETER VANDERPAS <giraffehauler@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 21:19:23 -0700 (PDT)
Many of you may have read of our struggles to get my
son's '68 2000 ready for Solvang.

He had a slight lapse in attention to the road,
resulting in the front getting smashed, and broke a
shift fork in the transmission.  After two months at
the mechanics and a month for body and paint it came
out just a week before Solvang.

He spent several days a week at Maaco in Palo Alto
looking at the book of paint samples and finally
decided on a light green metalic (non-stock).  We got
a lot of favorable comments from the Solvang crowd,
and many who were amazed that it was a Maaco job.
Everyone seemed to like the color.  I like it too,
even though the color change makes it quite clear to
me that this is NO LONGER MY ROADSTER.  I have been
relegated to benefactor.

As benefactory, I was looking for any oportunity to
keep costs down, and decided to try using reproduction
MGB stainless steel side moulding instead of the
original Datsun parts.  This is a daily driver, and
not a show car, so at $50 for a complete set of
moulding (including all of the fasteners) I felt it
was worth trying to make it work.  The moulding
required a cut for the front piece and door piece.
The cut was done at the front of the door and rear of
the front piece, and came out pretty clean.  I have
posted photos of the moulding at:

http://groups.msn.com/BADROC/pictures

The moulding came from Moss Motors, part number
453-478, if anyone is interested:

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29054

If anyone is looking for a less expensive alternative
to the original roadster moulding, I think these parts
from Moss are worth looking at.