Fwd: Re: Wheels (rim's)

To: Jim Svedise <svedise@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Fwd: Re: Wheels (rim's)
From: Scott Occhiuto <calabria1922@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 19:11:13 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Jim,

Here is my configuration for you to add to those that
have replied.  I spent a lot of worrying time over how
much to lower the car and after I did so, would the
wheels and tires fit without rubbing and would I have
troubles getting over curbs?  The www.311s.org site is
a good source for wheel information and that is where
I first saw the wheels I ended up with.

1968 2000

Re-Arced rear stock (36 years old) leaf springs to
lower them a 1/2 inch and even them up - one side was
sagging

New Nissan front comp springs

New Les Schwab shocks absorbers

Stock Aluminum wheels from a 1983 280ZX turbo, 15x6.
Have a reputation for being very light and strong.  I
found them by joining a Z car e-mail list.  $150 for
the set plus $45 for shipping.  Some minor road rash.
I used 0000 steel wool to polish them up after
carefully using a very fine file to smooth out the few
dings on the rim.  I really liked the Panasports of
the same size but at almost $200 a wheel, I decided
there were other things on the car that needed the
money worse.  I found some vintage Datsun center cap
emblems to glue on.  A year later and I am still happy
with them.

Yokohama ES100, 195/50-15.

Handling is incredible.  No rubbing.  The only thing I
would change, now that I am not worried about the
ground clearance, is I would have gone to the custom
front springs that the vendors are selling that are a
little softer and about 1/2" shorter.  It looks good,
but it would lower the front end a little more and
fill the front wheel wells slightly better.  I am also
thinking about painting the center of the wheels black
and leaving the outer rim a polished aluminum.

Thanks to Victor, I am attaching the link to the 311s
web site where the picture of my car is:

http://www.311s.org/Pics/srl311-04442.jpg

Good luck!

Scott Occhiuto

> --- Victor Laury <vlaury@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > 15 or 14 X 6 with a + 15 is optimal.  not really
> > more tire choices with the 15, as a 195/50/15 is
> all
> > the rubber you can fit. 14's are a little lighter,
> > but not in style as they don't fill in the wheel
> > wells as much

Yahoo! Mail  Now with 25x more storage than before!