RE: Stroker R16 head flow

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stroker R16 head flow
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:14:29 -0700
Yes, your basic understanding is correct. For a given engine speed, a bigger
port cross-section area will have a lower velocity than will a smaller port
at the same rpm. If the velocity drops too low, the atomized droplets of
fuel will tend to aggregate and drop out, giving an inconsistent mixture.

There are a bunch of factors that need to be "coordinated" in order to make
an engine run right - valve diameter, port size and shape, carb size, cam
profile and engine rpm. It's a complex balancing act.

The spring pressure should only be enough to keep the valves from floating,
and that's a factor of cam profile, rpm and component weight. Any more than
that is just draining power and accelerating wear.