Stroker R16 head flow

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stroker R16 head flow
From: "Daryl Smith" <daryl_smith@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:46:45 -0700
Thinking about the ability of the R16 head to provide air to a stroker
motor.....

With regards to "port velocity" vs "flow".  Am I correct in thinking that the
velocity will be chiefly determined by the size of the port (diameter) vs the
volume of air being "sucked" in by the piston (too small-restricting, too
large-loss of velocity), and flow being chiefly determined by the shape of the
port (smooth, no sharp bends) and the ability of the air to get past the
valve?

Using this logic, is it possible for a valve to be too big (assuming it fits
the combustion chamber)?
I am just trying to get a basic understanding, I know it is probably more
complicated.

I was at a head shop Saturday and was told the Intake port is quite well
shaped, but the exhaust port is probably too small and restrictive. Can
anybody confirm this?

He also checked with valves he had in stock and says small block chevy valves
can be very easily modified to fit, along with the springs and keepers. This
would make some very good flowing (oversize?) valves available to us
relatively cheaply off the shelf.
 A point that datsunmike brought up though is the spring pressure of the SBC,
How much is too much? I guess damaging the cam or lifters is a possibility?

Anything else to think about on this subject?

thanks
Daryl
'66 1600 - Soon to be "Molested"!!
She doesn't have a name yet, but she's got a theme song....
"She ain't Pretty, She just Looks that Way" !!