Re: "Hybrid Cars"

To: "Andrew Murphy" <solex675@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: "Hybrid Cars"
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:39:31 -0700
Andrew writes:

> Check this car out on ebay:
> ...item=2484431274
> ...the vin is listed as SRL311-00529- a 67.5 2000 vin.

The description also says 'salvage', so there's no telling what
was glued together to create this car. I suspect a 67 2L was
destroyed many years ago, sold as salvage, and rebuilt with
1600 body and pieces. It's also possible that the body tag says
SRL and DMV accepted it for registration (though they're usually
pretty good about verifying chassis number). Either way, I imagine
it was cobbled together using 'leftovers' many years ago when a
Roadster was just a Roadster and 1600 vs 2000 vs low vs high
just meant more parts to swap around...

-- John