Re: Undercoating

To: "Marc&Heidi" <mtyler@hctc.net>,
Subject: Re: Undercoating
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:46:29 -0400
Interesting you should ask this just now - over the weekend I decided to try
a method I had heard about but wasn't sure if it was an urban legend.  For
$12.00 I picked up 20 lbs of dry ice pellets - about the same amount as
three  bags of regular ice.  I was attempting to remove the asphalt material
on the floor pans. This is how it went:

Score the asphalt in a grid pattern with a utility knife, don thick gloves
and pour the dry ice into a large Glad trash bag.  Spread the ice around
inside the bag to cover a large area of the floor, and cover it with a
blanket to keep the cold in.  Let sit for 15-20 minutes, while enjoying your
beverage of choice.  Remove blanket & bag, whack a few blows with a rubber
mallet, and presto, the stuff pops off in pieces - like shale on a
riverbank.... no legend here, just saved numerous hours of work.

I took pics during the process, and will be adding a page to the website
showing the before, during, and after sometime n the near future.

Plus, when we were done, we threw glovefulls of the pellets into a bucket of
hot water and amazed both our, and the neighbors kids with clouds and clouds
of "fog".

For doors or other surfaces that might dent with a rubber mallet, substitute
a rubber wet sanding block - it has a large flat surface area.
Mark Sedlack
ZROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH
66 1600 http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/