RE: Newbie to list with questions

To: lonestar <lonestar@cmc.net>
Subject: RE: Newbie to list with questions
From: Roadster Dude <roadstrdude@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:49:54 -0700 (PDT)
Damn...I subscribed to the wrong list again...;)

lonestar <lonestar@cmc.net> wrote:On 29 Jun 2004 at 8:53, Andy Cost wrote:

> My brother has a type 3 VW and gets annoyed when I call all air cooled boxer
motors the same.

Not to belabor the point, but your brother's correct: not all VW
engines are the same. And your analogy to small block Chevrolet
engines hits a snag when, in Volkswagen-dom, you hit the Type IV. You
might still draw the comparison if Chevrolet introduced a similar
looking V8 but with a completely different block/head configuration.

Type I (bug), Type II (bus) and Type III (fast/squareback) engines
were quite similar over the years from the 1200cc through 1600cc
engines. Type I and II engines were interchangable, regardless of
displacement and intake port configuration. Minor sheetmetal
differences over the years, culminating in the 1600 'upright' with
the doghouse oil cooler. Type IIIs had very similar case/head
components but with much different sheetmetal. Type III's major
change was the advent of Bosch fuel injection. Type IVs, 914-4s and
'72-on Type IIs used a common engine which was totally different from
the I/II/III engines.

After that, I divorced Volkswagens. I got tired of valve adjustments
and frosty windows. Now you know more about VWs than you ever wanted
to know.... and more than I care to remember. LOL

-- lonestar