Oil blow-by

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil blow-by
From: "Eric Frisbee" <efrisbee@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:12:40 -0600
It has been suggested that I have excessive blow by and possible worn out
rings on this car.  I guess the only way to check that would be running a
leakdown check on every cylinder... great fun!   Anyone in Illinois have a
leakdown tester??   It really doesn't seem like there is a lot of air coming
out of the valve cover though?   Weird problem!   I checked over the
evaporative system and looks like I have a busted hose on that evaporation
thing up by the brake distribution block... and it's leaking oil too.   I
wish I could explain it better...  I could always shoot a picture, if my
camera will like me this month.

In the mean time, does anyone have some suggestions as to "filter" this
airborne oil so that the car  has only the hot air/exhaust gas from that
'PCV' fitting and not splatter that little bit of oil on my nice clean
engine and header?   I'd say the car is spewing about 1/2 teaspoon per 25
mile trip... not a lot, but when it hits that header, it makes a nice burnt
oil smell that is just so pleasant to breath!    As a temporary Bandaid, I'm
taking some hose and routing that oil/air mixture underneath the car.
Looking forward to the brainstorming!!

Eric