Re: datsun roadster parts wanted

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: datsun roadster parts wanted
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 12:40:06 -0600
> Ron Mistak:

> i am looking for a timing set for a 2000 u20 engine
>
> i have quotes from suppliers of new parts,   and with all my projects i
> cannot afford
> these new parts,,,

Ron,

I know the feeling. I've got two 510s in storage, working on finally closing
the deal on a '70 2000 and I'm planning on building up an early 240z in the
next year or so.

However I can't see digging into the front end of the U-20 and not using new
parts. Yes, they are pricey, but if they're what's needed to fix it right,
what's the sense in replacing worn parts with more worn parts?

Provided your tensioners and guides are in good shape you should be okay
just replacing the chains and gears, but that's the least I'd do, using
factory parts.

FWIW,
Ron