Re: Possible Fuel Tank Problems

To: "Tom Ross" <rossto@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Possible Fuel Tank Problems
From: "roadster katman" <roadster@rcn.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 12:10:45 -0800
Tom,

Try parking it on a hilly street, facing uphill, and testing the engine. Rev
it and see if it stalls or if fuel is not delivered to the fuel filter. I'm
puzzled, because you would think debris in the tank would move away from the
fuel inlet. You're running with a full tank of gas, yes? Before doing
anything else to the fuel system, try installing a new set of ignition
points and condenser.

If you are considering cleaning the tank, keep in mind your car will be out
of business for a while. You might want to try buying a refurbished tank and
then sell your old one.

When you remove it, be sure you do it safely, outdoors, and carefully drain
the bulk of the gas before dropping the tank. Then  drain it completely.

I took one to a radiator shop - keep in mind not all shops will take gas
tanks. They dunked the gas tank in a hot chemical bath and kept it there for
almost 3 weeks, then they coated it inside.

Fred - SSF, CA
'66 2L Lucy
'70 1600 Blondie