Possible Fuel Tank Problems

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Possible Fuel Tank Problems
From: Tom Ross <rossto@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:12:08 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, I am a new 70 Roadster owner. While driving my new
purchase last weekend I experienced a loss in power
when pulling out from a stop  light. The car struggled
along for about 1/2 a mile before power returned, then
after another half a mile it lost power again. Hills
that were no problem in 4th were now difficult in 3rd
gear. Also, the car stalled out while idling at stop
signs.

When I got home, the car would rev (up to 3500) no
problem, but it seemed to struggle under a load. It
also sputtered out when idling.

After consulting with several people, the concencus
was fuel was being restricted. So today I replaced the
fuel filter, and used compressed air to blow out the
line from engine compartment back to the tank (I
removed the gas cap). I could hear the air bubbling
into the tank. After putting in the new filter I
started it up and it seemed to run better but was
still strugling not to stall.I adjusted the idle and
it sounded much better. I took it for a test drive and
it ran great..... for about 5 minutes, then the old
symptoms of power loss returned.

When I got back, I removed the inspection cover to the
gas tank and peered in with a flashlight. It looked to
me like the inside of the tank is rusted, and the fuel
pickup had a lot of corosion and/or dirt on it.

I think I need to "clean" the inside of the fuel tank
and pickup. What is the best way to proceed? Is there
something else I should check before moving forward
with cleaning the tank? What color should the inside
of the tank look like? mine is orange (rust) colored.

Thanks

Tom Ross