Re: carbs

To: "datsun_sports" <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: carbs
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:53:51 -0400
Yes, I have a thought - it's either that your float has fuel in it and it's
sinking, or that your float level is incorrect, or that there's dirt stuck
in your float shut off valve (the name escapes me as I just woke up).

Give the offending carb a wack on the float chamber with a small hammer and
see if that helps. If it doesn't then open up the float chamber and check
the float - if you hear sloshing in it it needs to be replaced. Finally,
make sure your float levels are correct on both carbs. The correct
measuremnets are in the manual or online.

Incorrect float levels will affect your mixture greatly and give you the
problems you are experiencing.

Remember that when you fully raise the piston it's the other carb that is
being tested.

To check the correct mixture for the carb you are working on I use a small
screwdriver to carefully raise the piston about 1/32". If the motor speeds
up you're too rich, if it dies it's too lean and if the speed rises slightly
and then settles down it's correct.

Alternatively, keep turning the mixture nuts until you get the highest RPMs.

Remember to loosen the nuts on the turnbuckles so when you attach them your
idle speed doesn't change. Using the fast idle screw bring your motor up to
about 1500 rpms and then balance the carbs using the turnbuckles. Back off
the fast idle screw and see if your idle has changed. If it has you need to
start over loosening both turn buckles even more.

Patience is a virtue when dealing with 1600 carbs. Experience is nice to
have also and you will get experienced.

Mike