Timing: Here we go again

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing: Here we go again
From: "Allen Blackmon" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 23:04:34 +0000
To List,

In my incredibly frustrating attempt to get my car started and running
successfully, I've, as you know, run into a number of problems.  Latest
concern is bent valves.

Compression values how shop set up timing:
#1:  90
#2:  105
#3:  150
#4:  150

I move cam tooth over one and this is waht I got:
#1:  95
#2:  105
#3:  190
#4:  180

So, it looks like cam was off one tooth how they set it up and looks like
maybe bent valves now.  The shop who did the work came out to my house and
removed the head.  They took it back to the shop and looked it over.  They
said they can't see any bent valves and the intial check appears okay.  So,
they are a little stumped on what's up.

I'm looking for some advice on what is going on.  If valves/valve seals are
okay, then it could only be rings or head gasket, is that correct?  The
engine has basically been rebuilt with honed cylinders, new rings, seals,
etc. and a total head job.  Is there anything else that could contribute to
the loss of compression?  Car runs like garbage when it was running.

The shop is also loking for any advice on what to do.  HELP!!!!!

Allen
1970 2000