B-cam timing

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: B-cam timing
From: "Andy Cost" <andycost@att.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:22:08 -0600
Here are a few of the problems I've had with cam timing.  The PO of my car
installed the blade of the distributor shaft 180 degrees out.  It was really
hard to figure out, but on a hunch I reversed the plug wires and it fired
right up.  I also had a crank pulley that came apart allowing the inner
portion to rotate in relation to the outer portion.  This gave me some
really funny timing readings.  I didn't figure that one out until the pulley
started contacting the pointer.  I have also installed the chain one tooth
off.  It was pretty obvious visually that there was something wrong.  When
the chain is stretched the timing will be a little off, but when the chain
is one tooth off you can really tell.  I've also had troubles with ignition
system and carbs that made the car run really poorly or not at all.  You may
want to double check that everything is hooked up properly.

Andy