Re: 70 1600 still running like crap but a little better

To: Ldino21@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 70 1600 still running like crap but a little better
From: snyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 13:18:55 -0600
About 3 weeks , Ldino21@aol.com wrote:
Take a solid look at your distributor, I had the same problem with my
car, and once we got the distributor and saw how sloppy it was, re
replaced it and no problems. look at your lobes, see if the shaft
will turn at all by hand, if so its bad. One thing about the
electronic ign, it is hard to tell if everything is opening and
closing correctly.

Lou Smaldino

After checking into the list of possibilities of what's causing my
1600 to run badly, there has been improvement after correcting the
damper-oil levels, and re-balancing the carbs.  Well, it's running
less bad, maybe even okay, but I'm not sure I trust leaving the block
with it.  I'm beginning to suspect the distributor, dammit  :-(

By "see if the shaft will turn at all by hand, if so it's bad" does
that  mean 0.000deg rotation?  Looks like the shaft rocks between 4
and 5 degrees before the advance weights start moving. (this is with
Distributor in place) Is my 1 year old rebult from rallye distributor
bad?  Well, if that's the case, the roadster's getting parked
indefinitely. Unfortunately money is tight and there's no Garry Boone
EI Dizzy in my forseeable future.  I'd sell the damn car, but it
doesn't run well enough to fetch a decent price.

Really discouraged
Marc