Re: 70 Windshield rubber

To: Steven Harvey <stebharvey@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: 70 Windshield rubber
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:36:16 -0800
Steve,

If you are careful you can remove the windshield, the rubber ring, and the
chrome
in one fairly simple operation.

You will need two or more putty knives.  Plastic might work.  A variety of sizes
from a couple of inches to about 4 inches wide seemed to work for me.  Remove
the
sun visors and the top latch pins from the back of the windshield frame.  Cover
your seats with good thick pads if the seats are in good condition because you
will be standing on either the seats or the floor under the seats.

Start on the back side of the windshield at the center.  Use a couple of the
putty knives to start working the rubber flange away from the windshield frame
and keep a putty knife to hold the rubber away from the windshield frame as you
move sideways from the center.  I used a spray lubricant to help this process.
As you start to get several inches of rubber moved back from the windshield
frame
you will be able to use a putty knife to push the rubber flange to the front
side
of the windshield frame.  As you get more and more of the flange moved to the
front of the windshield frame the process gets easier and easier.  Using one
putty knife as a guide and a second to move the rubber forward helps move the
flange forward.  Keep working along the top and at least half way down each
side.  By now the top of the windshield will be fairly loose at the top of the
frame.   At some point you can just reach over the windshield frame and just
lift
the windshield out.  If you are careful everything will stay together.

I have a complete windshield with the rubber and chrome still in place waiting
be installed in place of my bad windshield after the car is painted.  The rubber
is fairly loose on this replacement windshield and I have to handle it carefully
to keep things in place.  I have not tried the reverse process yet, but I hope
it
works as well as the removal process worked.

If you study the whole thing once the windshield is out you might be able to
remove the rubber with the chrome intact.  If your chrome is in good condition I
would try to avoid taking chances with it.

Tom
69 2000
Portland, Oregon