5 speed and L20b engine

To: roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: 5 speed and L20b engine
From: matthew peterson <pete_303@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:58:25 -0800 (PST)
Hi everyone,

I have a question some of you out there may know the answer to.  I put a L20b
engine in my roadster a few years ago but haven't gotten it going yet. (Because
of moving, school, etc.)  When I got the engine it had a 4 speed tranny with it
but I wanted a 5 speed so I bought one at the local salvage yard.  The original
4 speed was mated up to the engine at an angle.  The only problem is that the 5
speed is made to mate up to the engine while the engine is straight up and the
engine is mounted to the frame at an angle.  Because of that the shift lever is
coming out of the transmision tunnel at an angle and the transmision mount is
at a weird angle.

My question: Is there a way to switch the bell housings so the 5 speed will
mount to the engine at the angle I need?  Or is there a 5 speed that would
mount to the L20b at the angle I need without swapping bellhousings?

Thanks for any replies.

Matt Peterson
'68 1600 (L20b)
Winona, MN