Starting round 4 (do you love this as much as I?)

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starting round 4 (do you love this as much as I?)
From: orangedawg@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:08:49 -0800
List,

Looked at timing and cam again.  Removed plugs.  Put a stick in #1.  Turned
crank to
TDC.  The piston is at it's highest.  Crank pulley is at TDC.  On a side
note, it seems that the piston "stays" at TDC for about 10 degrees of
movement, if that makes sense.  In other words, it stopped moving up just
before TDC on crank, pulley (at least according to the stick in #1 I was
watching) and then TDC came up on crank pulley.  Piston's still at it's
highest point and stick did not move down.  After TDC, stick started to move
down.  Does this make sense?  What I mean to say is that piston seemed to be
at TDC for more than just one degree or so.

Anyway, crank pulley at TDC and cam lodes are about 10 and 2 on my B cam.
However, cam
sprocket top screw is not vertical and the other two bolts holding cam are
not
horizontal.  It's more of a 11:30 for cam sprocket screw.  When I move top
screw to vertical position and the other two bolts directly horizontal,
timing looks like 20 degrees ATDC according to a guess on crank pulley.  So,
is the cam screw supposed to be exactly at high noon?  If I move crank so
that the cam screws are vertical and horizontal, cam lobes are no longer at 10
and
2, more like 11 and 2:30.

First, if that's true, how many valves have I now bent?  Second, if it is
off, is it simple to fix?  Would I just set cam so that top screw on
sprocket is vertical, unbolt the two cam sprocket mounting bolts that hold
sprocket to cam, and then adjust sprocket one tooth over?  See any problems
with that?  Although the shop I took it to is supposed to be one of the best
in town by everyone's word of mouth, I'm beginning to wonder.  Lastly, could
that be the starting problem?

Does this sound right?  Tried to start car again and still nothing.  I'm
thinking it may be ignition.  Just not a hot enough spark.  Or it could be cam
alignment.  I turned engine over by had and nothing was hitting (valves, etc),
at least I could tell.

Suggestions?

Allen
1970 2000 with Solex's and B cam