soft top clamp holder idea

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: soft top clamp holder idea
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 07:19:43 -0800
Bo, please don't drill holes in the soft top clamps.  Don't need to and the
fasteners that project outward will be forehead biters in low-speed
accidents. Plus, they are right there in your vision all the time, lookin',
well, just lookin'.
here is what I did, undoubtedly others have other (and smarter) ideas.
While supposedly you can tweak with the set screws to get even, perfect
tension on all 3 clamps, I wouldn't hold my breath.  I gave it a good 90
minutes and gave up.
I went to the fabric store and bought about a foot of Velcro, then unbolted
the clamps from the top, and bolted a loop behind them so that when I close
it, I can lap over the Velco, and they don't pop off.  It also keeps the
latches from rattling when it is stowed in the 'down' position.    Or, I
also saw someone at the Turfside show that had the smallest size carpenters'
clamps (like the woodworker kind, not Karen and Richard) I had ever seen,
but I'd bet the tension is only good for eliminating rattles when the top is
down.
Fergus O (Clancy O'Klugeclamp?) 69 2000, HB, CA