Beating a dead horse and starting

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Beating a dead horse and starting
From: orangedawg@hotmail.com
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 22:20:54 -0800
Okay, here's the latest and greatest.  I've got crank pulley set at 20 degrees
btdc.  Rotor is pointing at #1.  Pulled cam cover and the B cam looks about
9:30 and 1:30, which should be about right if tdc is 10 and 2.  Hooked up
timing light.  Turned ignition on (but did not turn engine over out of
deference to neighbors at 10 PM!).  Moved distrib a bit here and there until
timing light flashed.  So timing is set at 20 btdc, timing light fires and we
don't seem have a fuel shortage issue as starter fluid has been tried to no
avail.  It just won't "hit" on any consistent basis.  You can here is "hit"
every so often, but not enough to make it sound like it's actually going to
start.

Also, plugs don't seem to be wet, although two of them showed slight (very
slight) fuel on them.  Flooded?

Any answers?  Please see previous post about coil/distrib wires.  But there is
a black wire going to distrib, another black to (-) on coil), white w/black
stripe going to right side of resistor, white w/yellow stripe going to (+) on
coil, and black w/ white stripe going to left side of coil.  I've also got
that tiny canister thing on top of coil hooked up to other (+) terminal on
coil.  And I've also got that other canister thing on distrib hooked up to
distrib.

Will someone please shoot me?

Allen
1970 2000 (non-smog) with Solex's who is nearing wits end