Tuning and/or timing problem... 68-u20 su's

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Tuning and/or timing problem... 68-u20 su's
From: "The Dude" <big__lebowski@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 11:47:16 -0800
Well I got my new timing chain installed and the engine is running, but I
have a timing or tuning problem that I can't seem to solve.

The car idles well at 800rpm, timing set to 17.5, dwell at 51, point gap at
.016 (new points).  When I go to accelerate, I get a backfire through the
carb and then the engine, evening though it will rev, has no power.

This is a 68-2000, U-20, SU's, pre-smog distributor, smog head.

My carbs are probably shot, I'm thinking vacuum leaks through the throttle
bodies, but I was able to get it tuned and have power before the new chain.
The carbs run very rich and I can smell gasoline sometimes (although no
apparent leaks).

I've checked the valves, they are set at 008 and 012.

Any ideas from the experts?

When tuning the carbs and setting the timing, should I plug the vacuum
advance hose going to the distributor?  (I always have)  Also, should I plug
the vacuum nozzles on the front carb and intake manifold?

Thanks,

Ken Pearce
B'ham WA, 68-2000