SRL311-00489 Update (Long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: SRL311-00489 Update (Long)
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 14:21:14 -0800
Hello All,

Many of you have followed my restoration updates on my website and I hope it
is bringing information and inspiration to those looking at doing a full
restoration. I do my best to keep it updated and will continue to do so, but
with only 10 MB of web space available I am soon going to have start
truncating the amount of information that I am putting up there. I will
probably do a monthly review with pics. So to supplement (and for those
interested) I will periodically use the list to post about significant
updates about the car's progess. For those not interested, please exercise
your delete key perogative.

Today I received the happy news that my body work is complete and the car is
being sent back for its second acid dip in preparation for its phosphating
and sealing. It's been great fun watching the progress of the welder's torch
but I am glad it is finally finished.

Now that the body work is complete, attention is being turned to the engine.
Many of you heard about my broken camshaft and missing block-to-transmission
mounting flange. Now that the engine is fully apart, the block will be sent
to a machine shop to check for trueness. Since the car had a plugged smog
cylinder head on it when I bought it, the non smog head I purchased will be
rebuilt with a new solex camshaft.

The suspension components and frame have been cleaned and sand blasted in
preparation for powder coating. I am going to replace the lower ball joints
and the upper A arm shafts and bushings. I am going to powder coat the frame
and suspension a light grey color and not black. This is going to be a black
car and I would like the frame and suspension components to stand out.

It will be several weeks before the car body comes back from the stripper
and who knows how long the engine will be at the machine shop. After the
suspension pieces come back from powder coating, the process can start for
actually building the rolling frame.

So the car is just finishing its 3rd month in restoration. So far so good.

Andrew Murphy
SRL311-00489
SoCalROC