OT Question about Osca's - A little long

To: "'Roadsters (E-mail)'" <Datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: OT Question about Osca's - A little long
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 17:43:34 -0800
At times I read references to an Osca on this list.  In the pictures of
the "olden days" that were referred to yesterday or the day before I
found more references to something called an Osca.  Curiosity sent me to
eBay and a search for Osca.  I found one, a very poor parts car, but an
Osca.  This caused a lot of questions in my mind and I hope someone can
fill me in.

In 1959 my father was the Parts/Service manager for Del Pranke Fiat in
Oregon City, Oregon.  A couple ordered a new Spyder and patiently waited
two or three months for its arrival.  When it arrived, still 1959, it
was not round, it was square, and the dealership was uncertain whether
the buyers would take it or not.  They loved it.  Even better was that
they lived near our home and left it with my father on weekend whenever
it needed service.  I really enjoyed that car when I was 12 because we
took it on errands if it was left at our home.

Now jump forward to about 1966 or 7 and they traded the car for a new
Mercury Comet.  My father was now selling used cars for a
Lincoln/Mercury dealership.  He sold the people the new Comet and took
the little Fiat in trade.  When he knew the car coming in trade he
called me and asked me if I wanted it.  Away went the Morris Minor 1000
defensive driving course on four wheels and I had my first sports car.

My question is this.  According to everything I ever knew about this car
it was a Fiat 1200 Spyder, serial number 000084.  The picture of an Osca
on eBay is of the same body design.  Are these the same car, or is there
something about the Osca that I am missing?

The only goof I ever made by not buying cars that were traded in was
when I turned down a 57 Bird that had just gone through a body off
restoration that included a blueprinted and balanced engine with lots of
chrome and the hardtop.  My cost would have been $1500.00 and I turned
it down.  My rump still gets black and blue from the kicks I give my
self from time to time.

Tom
69 2000
Portland