Re: Gary Boone's Electronic Distributor

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gary Boone's Electronic Distributor
From: Marc Sayer <marc@gracieland.org>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 23:19:44 -0700
Eric Frisbee wrote:
> I've still got Gary's very first 1600 testbed EI distributor installed in my
> wifes '67 1600.   Unbelievably reliable, no "misses" at speed like the old
> points system used to do, and my mileage has improved to about 30-34 mpg
> (@70-80mph).   It's been about 7000 miles since I installed it and no
> problems!!    I'm definately gonna be upgrading any of my keeper cars!
>
> Eric
>
> (kinda back...)

Welcome "kinda back" Eric! :-)

I'll chime in here too. I haven't seen Gary's dizzys in the flesh, but I
used to rebuild and recurve the same style EI dizzys for the L series,
and I also used to sell and install a variety of aftermarket EI kits,
including the Perlux/Pertronix kit. I have always been partial to the
Nissan EI setup. It is well built, lasts a long time, even under harsh
conditions, and is much more robust than any aftermarket kit. Plus most
factory EI dizzys run a slightly larger cap and dist body, which is
important with the higher voltages and currents involved. Failed modules
and failed plastic parts for the vac adv plate are the only real issues
I've ever seen, and these are far from problems. Most Nissan dizzys have
150k+ on them by the time these parts fail. OTOH I had a box full of
failed aftermarket EI kits, including Crane/Allison and
Perlux/Pertronix. The only Pertronix kit I ever tried to install in a
Roadster, the Purple Lips lightweight, was DOA right out of the box.
Sure lots of folks have good luck with them. And maybe I was simply
unlucky. I just like the Nissan EI set up a lot better. And I know Gary
is dedicated to doing these units right. And no, he had no idea I was
going to chime in on this thread.

--
Marc Sayer
Journalist, Photographer, Dog Trainer (APDT member #062956)

Passions -
Great Danes, auto racing and fast cars, my wife

Dogs -
Gracie, Tank, Delilah, PJ, & the rescue dogs

Cars -
82 280ZX Turbo, 83 Volvo 245, 93 Ford E150 Tow/dog van
71 510 Trans Am vintage racer, homebuilt Formula V

My Homepage - http://gracieland.org

Deaf Dane Rescue Homepge - http://gracieland.org/DaneRescue/

Any Dane at the races is a Great Dane!