Re: While on the subject of tops - another Q re canvas

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: While on the subject of tops - another Q re canvas
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 13:52:46 EDT
Must be top day eh ?

Got a question re: canvas tops.  We've been helping our buddy Harvey get his
car in running order finally.... just had the nice canvas (robbins, I
believe) put on the car. The shop did real nice job of fitting the top -
looks great. (Tinkers in Mesa)  However....  they put it on fairly taut.
I've only dealt w/ the ins & outs of the vinyl tops myself. If this was a
vinyl top, there'd be no way in hell of getting back on when it got cold out.
I've always told folks better a little loose on initial fit, than too tight.
So I guess the question is....

How does a canvas top compare to vinyl for change in temperature
shrinkage/stretching ??   Does a canvas top also  need a good long, warm,
"settling in" period like a vinyl top would ?  ( Should I tell Harvey to
please leave the top ON the car for a few weeks? -  It will be living in the
garage). Is he gonna be in trouble come Dec. when he wants to put the top
up/down ? ( Haven't had the top on my car for over a year now - I don't
consider these things much anymore <G>)

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
AzROC