Re: Electric fule pump?

To: Dave Mehl <waterback@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Electric fule pump?
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:58:09 -0500 (CDT)
If you decide to install an electric pump be sure that the outlet pressure
is low, I believe about 3PSI (LIST?).

Also, I would wire it so that if the engine is not running, the pump will
not run. That wey, if you get in an accident and the engine dies, the fuel
pump will not continue running, possibly pumping fuel out making a fire
hazzard. The easiest way that I found to do this is to install a tee at
the port on the engine where the oil pressure gauge hose or sensor is
mounted. Connect the existing gauge/hose to one port and install a
pressure switch in the other port. Connect this switch to a relay that
will control the fuel pump when the key is on. If you want to use only one
relay you will have to find a pressure switch that closes when you have
oil pressure and opens whith no oil pressure. If you use 2 relays you can
use a standard oil pressure switch.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA