Can't get timing set correctly

To: "Roadster Mail Group" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Can't get timing set correctly
From: "audela2" <audela2@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:36:27 -0700
We are trying to set the timing on the 1600 engine but are having major
problems.  The car don't have a tach, so we set the engine to what sounds like
a good idle speed (comparing it to how our 1500 sounds).  Using a timing
light, the timing marks appear to be a good inch below the arrow.  We can't
turn the distributor far enough to bring the marks anywhere near the arrow.
We DID notice the closer the marks get to the arrow, the more obvious a
knocking sound becomes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charlotte & Leonard Hoover
Phoenix, Arizona