brake (dash) light wiring Q

To: Roadster Listgroup <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: brake (dash) light wiring Q
From: Dan Neff <neffster189@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 11:58:23 -0600
Greetings y'all,

   Having falling in love with autocrossing just this last month, I
decided maybe it was (past) time to get the brakes 100% :) .
   I figured the first thing I oughta do is figure out why the dash
mounted brake light doesn't work (then see if the proportioning valve
does it's job lighting it when front/rear is out of balance).

   The brake-light socket is "+"! Kinda doesn't work plugging it into
the (grounded) dash insert/socket/thingy. I reviewed the wiring diagram,
and am thinking it may actually be wired right - the socket is always
hot - straight off the fuse box. And the circuit is completed when the
S/Brake switch, E-brake, or proportioning valve, ground (complete) the
circuit -- meaning the brake-light/socket should NOT be grounded at the
dash. It has a rubber boot around it, which would seem to support that.
But how does it go in the dash? It looks like i'd have to cram the boot
AND the socket into that dash insert/socket/thingy (to keep socket
insulated from it) (pardon the high tech terminology ;) ).
  Any pointers would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll chase down a
roadster with a working light, and see what it looks like (dreading
the possibility of a dash teardown to remove the dash insert/socket/thingy
to install the light socket and rubber boot inside it).
  Should there be any wiring differences (heaven forbid!!), I find most
of my dash wiring to be '68 (single row fusebox), while front and rear
harnesses are '69 ;( .

thanks,
dan neff    '69 2000
colorado springs, co