Re: It's Alive!

To: <audela2@cox.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: It's Alive!
From: "milton3" <milton3@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 13:59:00 -0600
Congrats on the startup,

About the heater:

If you want to remove the heater, rather than plugging the head outlet,
You might just connect a U pipe to bypass the heater core.  This way flow
remains constant.

If the 1600 motors return flows through the manifold, you may like to keep
the manifold in the cooling system.  That is:  if it is actually cooling
(rather than heating) the intake charge.  The manifold in my 2000 is
bypassed an my runners are very, very warm - so, I believe I'll be better
off when I can locate the heater piping and put the heater and manifold
plumbing back into the system.  Like Pheonix, having heat is rarely an
issue here in Houston.  But it rains here from time to time (read daily)
and warm air clears a windscreen much better than cold, wet air - don't
forget about the defogger/defroster (even if you rarely get rain).
Finally, I bet it gets pretty nippy on those Shasta nights - you really
might think about retaining the heater if only for occasional use - I
certainly wish the PO of my 2000 had.

Milton

Unless you really need the space, you may want to retain the heater.  In
extreme conditions, I've had occasion to use the heater as an auxilliary
radiator.  It isn't comfortable, but it may make the difference between
parking and finding alternate transportation or getting to your
destination.

With a healthy cooling system, you should not need the heater's help
keeping the motor safe, but you do live in the Desert, so ...

hth, Milton

milton <milton3@pobox.com>