Re: Question about front disc brakes

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question about front disc brakes
From: Thomas - Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:24:20 +0200
Yes the Porsche rotors have holes in the castings
but the holes are re-drilled after machining the castings.
Their rotors are cast from a better iron quality than the
average quality for passenger cars, but they still crack
around the drilled holes after some 50 quick laps of
Nurburgring or something similar. Porsche brake parts
are made by Brembo but pads are from Textar (Bosch-ATE)

Cross drilling a brake rotor is difficult to do right and if
the casting quality is bad, they will crack after a few miles.

Cross drilled rotors give a more agressive bite than plain
rotors but almost the same thing can be accomplished with
slotted rotors with reduced risk of cracks.

Thomas