Re: Do you remember your first Datsun Roadster

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Do you remember your first Datsun Roadster
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@attbi.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:41:45 -0600
> >Gary Lasater:

>> Got to say I seem to be the senior member of this discussion both from when
>> we got the FIRST roadster and the year.  Mine was only 5 years old (a '64 in
>> '69).
>>
>> Like to see if anyone else goes back this far so we can really stroll down
>> memory lane.  I have had roadsters now for 33 years.  Who is close to this
>> area?

> Gary Russell:

> I've owned a 67 2000 solex since Feb 1968.
> Surprised many a British sports car. Sold a 62 Sprite to get it.

Bought our 2000 new ($2000 with trade-in) from Earl Hughes, in Fort Worth,
in the spring of '70. Wife was complaining to a friend at work shortly after
that because they couldn't get the hardtop we wanted. A co-worker
overhearing the conversation asked, "What kind of Datsun?" Turned out he was
president of the Fort Worth SCC that year, and the rest, as they say, is
history.

Within a year bought a '71 510  for our growing family and shortly
thereafter traded the 2000 to one of Earl's mechanics for a second 510. The
guy promptly wrapped the roadster around a rather large tree along Hwy 377
just south of Denton, so I couldn't get it back if I wanted. Figure we'll
start looking for another roadster sometime next year. Want to complete at
least one of the 510's first, and it looks like I may wind up with a '73 240
that I want to build as a daily driver.

Course then we'll have to decide if we want both a 1600 AND a 2000, so we'll
have a complete set, don't ya know? ;>)

Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@attbi.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)