Re: They're faking our roadsters!

To: "Pre-Zee" <Pre_Z@msn.com>, "Rob Beddington" <RoadsterGB@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: They're faking our roadsters!
From: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:09:42 -0600
Pre-Zee wrote

>WTH is that?  I did a search for Nissan Figaro & came up with no matches.
>Is this someone's Crossbreeding a modern car with a Fairlady?  Any links to
>what it started out life as?
The Nissan Figaro came out around 1990 designed by Naoki Sakai and was
not produced in large numbers.  It was Nissan's attempt at "retro" about
a decade too early. It does have 4 taillights in two pairs vertically
stacked, a nod to the roadster? The Nissan Pao from a couple years
earlier looks like it's trying to evoke The "Moke" or the Kubelwagen.
The Figaro looks more like a tin toy of a retro effort than an effort in
itself, but they did a nice job with the interior.  I think the Figaro
may be the reasoning behind Nissan's "Retro is dead" wrongheadedness.
     There's a neat book called Kleinwagen-Small Cars-Petites Voitures
written in (you guessed it) German English and French side-by-side.  Lots
of Great photos.  No roadsters though, as they are over the 12 foot
maximum lenght to be included. They do have great photos of the Honda S
series roadsters.

-Marc

-Marc T.