Re: Design Study

To: Pre_Z@msn.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Design Study
From: "sidney raper" <spl310@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 09:28:45 -0500
George,

The Z was not earth shattering in design as I recall.  The design was hailed
as wonderful as it was an affordable alternative to the E type coupe.  If
you squint on a foggy morning with a Z and an E parked together, you can see
the similarities.  The E types (even then) were considered to be "mechanics"
cars, while Nissan products had already proven that they are reliable.  This
with the lower price (before the obscene dealer markups which were common)
resulted in fantastic sales.

On the design of the Roadster, it was considered by some to be derivative.
(read the old road tests.  I see them as off handed attempts to minimize the
car - others may disagree)  There are parts of the roadster that (in some
eyes) don't appear to be in harmony with the rest of the car, but overall,
the design is pleasing.  I personally like the chopped off nose look as it
is more aggressive (in my opinion) than the pointed nose cars.  Then again,
I like old Ferrari Barchetta's, Cobras and other open mouth cars.  I can see
the similarities that you mention in your note.

If you look at them carefully, the Fiat 124/1800/2000 have some very similar
design queues to the Roadster.  Especially if you look at the original grill
design (non-production sketch shown in Phil Brook's book)  The reason that I
believe that the designs have similar queues is that classic designs are
eternal.

I have been toying with the idea of what a modern roadster would look like.
Something along the lines of the new Tbird versus the originals.  I think
that it would be interesting to see one built.  My thought on the taillights
for this model is that the clear lens lights which are popular with the
"rice boy" cars now would lend themselves well to a taillight design for the
new Roadster.  On the new design, I see the nose becoming more rounded in
the modern style (similar to the S2000).  The fins would become more
integrated and only appear at the back of the body.  The plinth (Jaguar talk
for the trunk "handle") would probably become more flushly mounted.  The
hood scoop would move back up the hood.  The windshield would be laid back
more, and the vent windows more angled.  The bumpers would become integrated
with chrome accent strips.  If anyone out there can draw, it would be a fun
exercise.

Sid