Re: Is it an old wives tale?

To: spl310@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Is it an old wives tale?
From: RoadsterGB@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 09:31:27 EST
In a message dated 18/12/2001 14:24:45 GMT Standard Time, spl310@hotmail.com
writes:

> I have often been told that placing an automotive battery on a concrete
> floor would cause it to lose it's charge more quickly than if it were on
> some kind of platform.  I can't see how this would happen, but there are
> lots of things that I don't understand.  How about it electrical guys?  Any
> truth to the old wives tale?

Sid - got this off the web:

<< There is not currently a strong reason for avoiding contact of a battery
with a concrete floor. The battery's contact with the concrete should not
create a problem with the material in today' s batteries. If the battery is
not clean, but has a surface layer of acid or grime which is conductive, the
battery can be expected to self-discharge more rapidly than if it was clean
and dry.

Many years ago, batteries were constructed with a wooden case around a glass
jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to
swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Shortly after the
introduction of "Hard Rubber" containers, which were somewhat porous and of a
less than ideal design, there was a chance of current to be conducted through
the container of a high carbon content if the moist concrete floor permitted
the current to find an electrical ground. These are two of the older reasons
for not storing batteries on a concrete floor. There is no reference to
avoiding storage on concrete floors in the Battery Service Manual published
by the BCI. Their suggestion is appropriate for the current state of the art
batteries built by reputable battery manufacturers. >>

Rob