Re: Sid's Diatribe on Originality (kind of long and full of

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sid's Diatribe on Originality (kind of long and full of
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 16:24:19 -0500
I was going to hold my tongue on this thread, but Sidney's comments ring
true!

I'm one of those on the list "guilty" of customizing - i.e. putting in a
Chevy V6/ T-5 5-speed, modifying the body etc., but from my calculations,
based on the starting condition of the Roadster I acquired, I realistically
would have to invest 2-3 times what the car is worth in restoring it.

The interior was missing save for some seats, which turned out to be early
1500's, which I traded to a local Roadster owner who is doing a restore.

The 1600 4 cyl. had been sitting for 10 years, was removed from the car, and
the V6 installation already started by the PO - truly botched and
Afghani-engineered.  Sure it could probably be rebuilt, but fact is I'm
making all the parts available to other owner's with cars in more
"restorable" condition.

I know its not going to be a high-revving screamer, but what I will have is
approx. 220-230HP, plenty of low-end torque, gearing appropriate to the
task,  in an easy to maintain, low cost package.

I'll take on ANY challenger in my 350cid/350HP V8 Z - that car was
engineered with a full road-race suspension ( bump-steer mods, progressive
wound springs urethane bushings, gas-cartideges, etc.), close ration
5-speed, with the weight balance even better than the stock 6.  Plan is to
take the same approach with the "R"

I live in Ohio - also known as the center of the Rust Belt - and Roadster's
are few and far between here.  The car I found was relatively rust-free
sheetmetal wise ( wouldn't have even considered it otherwise), but every
piece of chrome is completely pitted, rusty, and otherwise shot.  Should I
spend a fortune on NOS, or replated tailights, bumpers, buckets and grille
just to make it correct?  Or is it just as appropriate to sandblast, epoxy
prime, and satin-black those parts for a custom look? ( did the same on my
Z)

I've always loved the Datsuns from the 60's & 70's, primarily for the racing
heritage, underlined by their superb handling.  The styling of the Z rivals
many of the snootier marques, and the Roadster looks very agressive.
However, I personally have never liked the "flat" rear-end panel on the
Roadster, and have always suspected it was due primarily to ease of
manufacture, rather than a planned styling detail.  If you look at the
Cobra, bug-eye, jag, etc., the smooth, curved tail ends just sing.  Not that
I object to the Roadster's unique look - in fact it gives a restored car a
distinction from the others I mention, but being both a designer and
engineer, I feel its my right to re-work the body in my own fashion,
creating something truly unique.

Phil and I have been trading notes regularly, and I think we'll both end up
with finished vehicles that will be noticed, appreciated, and a total blast
to drive - and isn't that what its REALLY all about?
Enjoy the ride!!!!

Mark Sedlack
OROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH