Originality (kind of long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Originality (kind of long)
From: "John Peak" <johnepeak@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2001 20:34:20 -0800
Roadster list,

Does anybody here care about originality?  As a long time roadster owner, I
joined this list in the hopes of connecting with likeminded enthusiasts.
What I have found is people who see the roadster as primarily a platform for
customization.  Engine swaps, body mods, wheel and suspension changes seem
to dominate what few technical threads I have seen.  Please do not view this
as being critical of what you are doing.  I know that many of these cars
have been spared from the crusher by your work.  I just feel that something
valuable may have been lost in the process.

I bought my roadster when it was a relatively new car.  I wanted a car that
was built from the factory to perform well.  I also needed a reliable car
that was economical to drive on a daily basis.  The roadster filled the bill
perfectly.  Over the years many cars have come and gone but the roadster
remains (Actually I did sell it once and bought it back, but that is a
different story).  I love the car for what it is, not for what I can turn it
into.

When I was in high school back in the early 1970's, I owned a '56 Bel Air.
I replaced the original engine and transmission with a built 327 and 4
speed.  I eliminated the side chrome and painted the car a solid color.  I
put on mag wheels and installed a custom interior.  If the car is still
around, I am sure that someone went to considerable expense to undo all my
hard work and return the car to its original configuration.  Sometime in the
future someone may want to do the same with one of your cars.  Will there be
any reference that will guide them back to originality?

I am currently restoring an Austin-Healey.  Despite a considerable amount of
documentation, there is still an amazing amount of dispute about what was
original on any specific car.  Given that the roadster has existed all these
years in relative obscurity, I am afraid that any notion of what was
original in these cars may be gone forever.

I would like to preserve the originality of my car if for no other reason
than because it is such an important part of my life.  It has been the only
constant for nearly a quarter of a century.  If anyone out there shares my
desire, please let me know.

Thank you for your patience,

John Peak
'70 2000