Re: bouncy tach?

To: Chris Gray <grayc@rpi.edu>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: bouncy tach?
From: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:54:17 -0800 (PST)
Chris.  My guess is that you need a new cable.  Mike
got progressively worse over the years ('66 1600), so
I removed and lubed the cable.  Calmed it down for a
little while, but not long.  It bounced and made noise
(clanging).  Well, cheap that I am, I bought a used
cable on E-Bay ($10) and solved the problem.  I'm sure
the vendors have good new ones reasonably priced.  The
reason I went used is because I wanted to make sure it
was not the tach.  It was not.

Some folks suggested that my 35 year old tach may have
dried up "damping fluid", which is another
possibility, but would be a bear to replenish on the
old sealed tachs from the early roadsters.  Luckily
mine was just a cable.

Mike Harper
'66 1600
'68 2000