Re: steering wheel question

To: "'Datsun Roadster List'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: steering wheel question
From: "James Moore" <james.moore14@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 18:31:45 -0500
Putting air bag (Supplemental Restraint System) in an automobile requires
ALOT more than retrofitting parts. SR systems are carefully engineered to
take into account the deceleration rate of the occupants. This involves many
variables, such as the "crush rate" of the vehicle, Primary Restraint System
(seat belts) and a zillion other things. Besides, airbags are a contained
rapid expansion of gases...read explosion....and kill the occupants if they
(the occupants) are not positioned properly.

The more cost-effective and safer solution would be to install a roll bar if
your car doesn't already have one and then attach some 4 or 5-point
harnesses to it and brackets mounted in the floor. That's what I plan on
doing to my Fairlady, with racing seats.

Jim Moore

Dunkirk MD