RE: Question about Loose 5-speed tranny nut...

To: "Dwight Woodruff" <dwoodru1@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Question about Loose 5-speed tranny nut...
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 13:34:25 -0500
You'll need a big wrench.  I don't remember the size but it's around 1.5
inches.  Torque is 123-145lb/ft.  That's for the early 5 speed with one main
shaft nut.  You can use a torque wrench with a crows foot and an appropriate
adjustment for torque.  You'll need a new lock plate also - don't reuse an
old one.  The loc-tite should go only on the threads, not on anything that
spins freely of the main shaft.  You can measure the length of the wrench
and apply an appropriate amount of weight to the end of the wrench.
Adjusting the torque when using a crows foot or other extension on a torque
wrench is done by measuring the effective length of the extension (center of
the nut being turned to the center of the wrench's drive/ratchet) and the
effective length of the wrench (center of the drive to middle of the
handle).  Divide the length of the wrench by the length of the wrench plus
the extension. Multiply that figure by the amount of torque you want to
apply to the nut.  The resulting product is the amount of torque to set your
wrench at.  For example, if we have a 16-inch long (1.33 ft) torque wrench
and a 2" long extension (overall length of the wrench with the extension is
18 inches or 1.5 ft.) and we want to apply 140lb/ft we would set the wrench
as follows.  1.33/1.5 = 0.8866.  140lb/ft x 0.8866 = 124lb/ft.  Set the
wrench at 124 lb/ft to apply 140 lb/ft to the nut with the extension on the
wrench.

Make sure when you put it in reverse that none of the other forward gears
are engaged - that will lock the shaft.

Brian '69 2000
Tampa, FL
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/