Re:MGB comparison

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:MGB comparison
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:30:39 EDT
In a message dated 10/24/01 12:23:30 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
sgam@hotmail.com writes:

> But it'll be interesting to see what's said about handling, braking, and
> driver comfort.  I've never driven an MG.  I should try one out, I
> suppose...

The MGB feels much more "solid" and heavier in the "touring mode" (just plain
ol' driving)  This is becuase they are unibody and body-flex is greatly
reduced. It also feels like there is a more solid shell around around you -
chock that up to heavier doors and interior trim etc. Diving the two
back-to-back will make the Datsun a bit more "tin-bucket feeling" to a
passenger.  Despite the solid feeling when cruising down the highway - the
Datsun feels much more nimble than a stock B. The B's can be made a bit more
agile w/ anti-roll  bars, slight lowering of the front coils, and replacing
the lever shocks in the back. This still dosen't get the "ass-end getting
away from you when cornering" thing taken care of. My Datsun LOVES to slide
around corners and always felt "controlled" when doing so - a B can get
squirrely in the same situation. Prolly the narrowed track on the rear of the
Datsun is to thank for this.  The B has a bit more leg-room for you tall
folks, but it it's nice to actually sit up to drive in the Datsun.  Not near
the head room available in a B w/the hood (top) up.

By nature - the B engine has a lot more torque (long stroke engine) for
off-the line. Ever see a mgb piston? - they are tiny in comparson to our
roadsters. The Datsun engine has a more "square" inside demension (bore &
stroke) and will usually walk away from a stock B from a rolling start.
(hint: you wanna tease the B owners while already going down the freeway !!!
NOT off the line<G>)

brake comparison ... hmmm when I was driving both, my datsun's fronts were
not working properly at the time & they didn' seem any worse than a B that
was known to be in proper working order. I guess that says a lot, eh?

Overall, I'd rate the Datsun to be much more of a  "Driver's Car" with the B
being a "Sunday Cruiser".  The Datsun is just  MORE FUN to drive and you
can't beat it for confusing the spectators (everyone knows what an MGB is <G>
)

The British Car Magazine comparsion should be an interesting one to look
forward to, and make sure that when you're rubbing in the fact that our cars
are more fun to drive than your friends MGB that they notice our "Car
Orphanage" ad in the back - maybe the SuperFlex urethane bushings will help
them out.....  (shameless plug? me? - yeah- get over it!)

Laurie :-)
(owned many a MBG - still has the Datsun!)
70 SPL311
AzROC
Chandler, AZ

///