Pilikia is Pau!

To: Datsun List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pilikia is Pau!
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 19:31:33 -1000
Roadster "roared" into life today; sounded good!

My "baffling" problem has been identified and solved.  R. Haug gets the
"Kokua" Award since the source of the problem was one of the possibilities
he advanced.

I had resigned myself to replacing the (just replaced) head gasket.  I had
concluded the evidence indicated a head gasket problem, and thought it
"maybe" was because of *how* I had applied the Permatex Copper Cote
(actually, Copper Spray-a-Gasket).

In pulling the manifolds (pain!) in preparation to remove the head, I
discovered a reason for a leak affecting the intake for #3 and #4
cylinders.  I corrected this, reassembled everything, and the really nasty
effects of the problem disappeared.

When a manifold leak had been suggested as one of the possibilities, I
dismissed it.  I thought I had done a good job of getting tight joints,
using Copper Cote for them as well.  Well, there was a problem - too
involved to get into.  Just say, I screwed up :-).

Anyhow, Cope Cote (and, apparently, the way I applied it) has been
exonerated.  Next to do: reset the valves, "hot", and retorque the head
bolts after ~500mi.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions; it's great to be able to share a
problem with this understanding forum.

Dave

'68 1600
Kailua-Kona