RE: Good machine shop in upstate WA or Van BC?

To: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>,
Subject: RE: Good machine shop in upstate WA or Van BC?
From: STAN CHERNOFF <az589@lafn.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:54:06 -0700
There are shops that specialize in straightening aluminum cylinder heads.
They have fixtures and ovens to control the process.  They can get the
straightness to within .010" most of the time.  It may be good to replace
the guides and seats after the heating process.  It is usually necessary to
skim both the top and bottom of U-20 heads.  Straightening also tends to
retain the combustion chamber volumes more equally.

Stan
===============
At 01:20 PM 10/19/01 -0400, you wrote:
>That is correct.  If a head is warped badly you'd need to mill the top of
>the head or align bore the cam towers.  That's why some folks straighten
>them first.  The procedure the mechanic described to you is how it's done.
>While it sounds simple it takes some experience as the head must be heated
>evenly to the proper temp and cooled evenly as well.  I'll try most anything
>myself but that is a service I'd pay someone for.
>
>Brian '69 2000
>Tampa, FL
>http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/

///