More wheels

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: More wheels
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:01:55 -0700 (PDT)
I just bought used Ultra 14x6 zero offset aluminum wheels (won on eBay
auction).  In a former life they were on a 240z.

I test fit them and they fit except the rim is incredibly close to the
brake pad retainer.  They are so close that the wheel weights rub.
This only happens to the second row of weights; the first row is far
enough out that it misses.

I took the pad retainer off and slotted the bolt holes so it will fit
more flush with the caliper.  I also ground just a tiny bit off the top
to hopefully reduce its height a little more.  Now the weights clear
the pad retainer clip, but I know it's still very close.

What happens if the pad retainer clip is missing?  Will the pads work
their way out of the pistons?

Or can the tire be balanced without using a second row of weights?  Can
the tire shop rotate the tire on the wheel to make it as close to
correct as possible so only one row should be necessary?

=====
Adam
'70 1600 SPL311-28181
http://www.picturetrail.com/abend