Kokua (help) Needed on Big Island...

To: Datsun List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Kokua (help) Needed on Big Island...
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 18:02:04 -1000
Hello List:

My roadster suddenly started operating on three cylinders last July.  Some
may recall an appeal from me for advice at that time.  I again thank those
who offered opinions/suggestions.  My initial diagnostics suggested a bad
valve in #1 cylinder.  That *is* what it turned out to be, a triangular
shaped chip out of the exhaust valve of #1.

Slowed down by heavy involvement in some home improvements, I finally got
the head off and to "Akamai (meaning 'da best!) Machine" for
reconditioning.  Just after I left it with them, they closed down the shop
for a 2-week vacation.  After a few delays in getting the parts (some
associated with the transportation delays after Sept. 11)

 Finally got the head back from Akamai Machine last week.  Believe that
they did an excellent job.  I put the engine back together last weekend
with high hopes that the car would run even better than before; it had been
running well before the valve failed.

I adjusted the valves to .020 (cold) and performed compression checks.  I
thought the results were quite good.  "Dry" the mean value was 133 psi
(+1, -2), very consistent for two checks, and with 10cc of oil  added, the
mean value was 145 (+/-) 3 psi.

I made no changes to points and timing since it had been running well
before the valve failure.

Then I went to start it (full of confidence).  Was I disappointed!

Very hard to start, and when started, it ran very irregularly, with
definite missing and occasional backfiring.  It suggested that the timing
was off.  The distributor hadn't been touched!

Checked the dwell, and it was 59*, higher than when I had set it, maybe
influenced by the fact that the rpm had to be ~15k to keep it running.
(though I thought dwell was not rpm dependent).  Anyhow I reset it to 50*
Then I tried adjusting the timing about 5* each way, advance/retard.
Seemed to run a little better at 5* retard (that is, rotating the dist. 5*
CCW--maybe that's advance, I don't remember).

Anyhow, I've about run out of ideas and it still runs like crap.

I would welcome any thoughts, and thanks in advance!!

Dave

'68 1600
Kailua-Kona

///