brake mystery solved

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: brake mystery solved
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 07:28:56 -0700
okay, I'll stop my whining.  I removed the m/c again (after the rebuild and
re-install) because once installed, it would apply pressure to the fronts
but not release the pressure.  I re-read all of Tom Walters' notes on the
clevis rod adjustment, but that wasn't the problem.  What I realized (okay
remembered) is that when I dismantled it, the set screw/rod that goes up
from the bottom of the m/c into the groove into the piston (limiting its
stroke) had 2 washers on it.  I remember thinking, if you want to retain the
fluid, why 2 washers?  It turns out that if you only use one (maybe only on
my m/c) the set screw almost completely plugs the feed/return line to the
front reservoir, so the pressure, I presume, would release over a long
period, like a week.  (make sense?)  So, re-install with 2 washers,
re-bleed, etc.
I also noticed that I should have left the new sound deadening material off
the forward 6 inches on the drivers side of the tunnel, because now my feet
REALLY don't fit between the tunnel and the brake pedal.    Fergus O, 69
2000, HB, CA

///
///