sleeves for Z Wheels - LONG

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: sleeves for Z Wheels - LONG
From: Mike Harper <roadsterdude1600@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 07:19:43 -0700 (PDT)
Hi list!

Some of you have inquired about the sleeves I was
trying to get made for Z wheels to take up the slack
between the lug hole and our 7/17 lug nuts.  I will
share my quest/odessey to date.  This may reun long,
but if interested, read on.

Measurements: ID .675 in, OD .745 in. (or approx 17mm
X 19mm) 3/8 - 7/16 long.

I have tried a few machine shops to get these turned
in regular grade steel.  Had one who said sure, he'll
get back with me.  NOT.  When I finally got back to
him he says $4 apiece.  I don't think so, making a set
of 16 cost $84.  He finally said that in bulk he may
could do it for $2.  Whatever, I went shopping again.

One guy tried to order some stock tubing (11/16 X 3/4)
which might be close enough without any machining.
then just cut to length.  Great idea!  he tried 3
suppliers and struck out with that size.  Not
available for whatever reason (but it is listed!).  He
bored out a few spare pieces of 3/4 OD stuff for me
just to try.  I cut it to lenght with my little band
saw to 3/8" pieces.  Some ends are a little jagged.
Some are tighter than others to the lugs, but when I
put the sleeves over the lugs and install the wheels,
the result is a sleeve insert in the wheel that
sticks.  Some nuts feel like they are binding a bit
against the sleeve while others turn freely.  A tight
fit however.  If he has to do this with a big piece he
may can make them for $1 apiece, or can make large
sections for me to cut maybe cheaper.  If so I'll need
to invest in a metal chop saw to make the job quick
and clean.

If someone has a source for the 11/16 X 3/4 tubing we
might can make them pretty cheap.  Let me know your
thoughts.

Mike Harper
Charleston SC
SEROC