clutch/flywheel failures

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: clutch/flywheel failures
From: Marc Sayer <marcsayer@home.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 21:40:04 -0700
A while back there was some discussion about clutch/flywheel failures. The
excerpts below are from the wheel-to-wheel list from today. The cars involved
were racing and weren't Datsuns, but none the less. Clutch and flywheel failures
aren't common, but they certainly do happen, in all sorts of cars, as the
following shows. All you need is too see this sort of thing (or worse) happen to
someone you know and you get real paranoid about these failures.

> << I just talked to Dick Naze on the phone and he is doing well, though he is
> still in Methodist Hospital.  He said that when he put in the clutch to
> downshift prior to turn 1, he felt a whole lot of pain and his right foot
> was twisted under the brake and clutch pedal.  The bell housing shrapnel was
> responsible for breaking three toes and hyperextending his foot. >>
>
> I had caught up with him on the previous lap and was passing him when it
> blew. I couldn't tell what had happened but saw metal parts come flying from
> underneath his car. We were really haulin' the mail. I can't imagine he was
> doing his downshift at that point in the track as we were only about 3/4's of
> the way to the turn in point.

Marc Sayer

///
///